Kiteboarding Exercises now brings you a series of interviews with professional kiteboarders from around the globe.
The interviews are about kiteboarding, lifestyle and of course training. Do they use personal trainers? Do they workout out? How do they stay in shape to be a top athlete? Learn more about how it is to a pro kiteboarder and what level kiteboarding is at compared to other sports, where personal trainers and sports specific training is natural part of staying on top of their game. In sports like football, basketball, baseball, tennis, swimming, etc, fitness is they only way to be all the athlete can be. Training gives a top athlete the last 5% they need, to (maybe) beat the others. Theoretically it's the same for kiteboarding, but is it all so the case?
Seb Garat Interview
- where do you live?
- what are you up to right now and for the next couple of months?
I'm at home, we got a competition break until august, but i got some national event I'm gonna attend and meeting with my sponsors. Of course, I keep training kite when it's windy, and stay in good shape when it's not.
- how would you describe the profile of a typical pro kiteboarder?
A Pro Kiteboarder is a high level Athlete. I mean we need to be really prepared to support the big amount of crashes, hard landings and big impacts.
- how important is it to you, to stay in good physical shape all year? Do you have some "off periods" from kiteboarding?
- are you working with any trainer now? If yes, what have you been doing? Free weigths, machines, functional exercises, kite specific exercises?
I got a Trainer with the French Team at the French federation. We have training programm for gym specifically. Everything else, I do by myself thanks to my education. My parents always pushed me to make sport and to live healthy. So I know the importance of a good physical activity.
- do you have access to a gym, when you're traveling? What about at home? If, yes, do you know how well equipped it is?
When I'm travelling, I mostly can't get into a gym. I can only go running and do some "body weight" exercices, like push ups, abs, traction... But It's mostly what I do everytime. Don't like so much going into the real gym and pushing tons of weight.
- are you doing anything else than kiteboarding to stay in shape? other sports?
I'm doing a lot of other stuff. The thing I like the most is Trampoline acrobatic gym. I do it since I'm 15 years old. But I love to surf, wakeboarding, windsurfing some times. Squash, and running are some of them too. And I'm always happy to try something new.
- other sports like football, basketball, swimming etc, do a lot of sports specific training, and have professional trainers to make individual programs for the athletes. How far along is pro kiteboarding in that aspect, do you think?
I think in Kiteboarding we are really far from this aspect. I think the general level could be on step higher if we had this kind of individual trainer...
- how do you learn new trix? And what are you working on next?
I'm try to get the tricks done in my mind and to have a visual representation of it. Then I try it for real on the water ! For me it work very good with mental imagery.
- if you wanted improve one thing about your riding, what would that be? Faster rotations, handle more power etc?
Now I would like to be more fast in my moves, be more Tonic.
- who are your current sponsors?
RRD, Cool Shoe, Waxx, Pro Limit.
- what gear do you ride, and why is this your choice of gear?
I'm riding the RRD Kite, Obsession which is the Freestyle kite. And the "Contest" for the board.
- do you have a website?
www.KiteboardingExercises.com - Power 2 Progress